Implement the Teaching of General Academic Vocabulary
Organized by grade level (1–6), each Common Core Academic Vocabulary list contains a collection of CCSS, grade-appropriate words that are critical to understanding the concepts and content being taught in today’s classrooms and encountered in more complex texts. Teachers can select words from these lists to create a variety of customized lessons that address, support, and implement the teaching of general academic vocabulary.
Grade 1 Grade 2 Grade 3
Grade 4 Grade 5Grade 6
| || |
Learn how to make customized vocabulary lessons using our free training webinars
Access Hundreds of Pre-Made Vocabulary Lessons
Vocabulary A–Z continues to offer a variety of ways to support vocabulary learning in the classroom. Our database contains thousands of vocabulary words, and we're adding new words daily. Additionally, users can access pre-made lessons for Reading A–Z leveled books and Science A–Z units. Vocabulary A–Z also offers pre-made lessons for basal reading units, including Harcourt Trophies, Macmillan Treasures, Scott Foresman Reading Street, and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Journeys.
Each five-day vocabulary lesson plan includes three to twelve preselected vocabulary words, related context and definition cards, customized worksheets and activities, and an assessment. Additionally, you have the freedom to edit each lesson—making it easy to add, drop, or change a word or activity.
Add Your Own Vocabulary Words
If you can't find a word in our database, you can add a new word under My Words. You can create your own vocabulary list from scratch or add your new word(s) to the more than 13,000 words already available on Vocabulary A–Z.
Access Learning A–Z Time-Savers
- Reading A–Z: Projectable and printable books that simplify whole-class and group instruction as well as provide for differentiated instruction
- Science A–Z: Projectable and printable leveled science books and complete science units that integrate literacy and science
- Writing A–Z: Pre-made composition lessons and activities at multiple levels that motivate students and strengthen their writing skills
- Raz-Kids: Online leveled books that provide level-appropriate options for each student
- Reading-Tutors: One-on-one developmentally appropriate tutoring lessons for home or school